As a leading lettings agent working throughout Wandsworth and the rest of London, we’re always aiming to help prospective tenants to find the perfect rental property, while also offering vital support to landlords and investors. If you’re looking for a new home to rent in London, here are some of our top tips for ensuring you make the right decision and can enjoy a hassle-free searching process.
- Firstly, think about exactly what you want in a new home before you begin your search. Research some different areas of the city to see what they have to offer in terms of local shops, schools, parks, bus stops, Underground stations and other facilities you may need. This will help you to narrow down the choices.
- Set a budget. Research the average prices in your chosen areas and determine how much you can afford, not forgetting extra costs such as agency fees and upfront rental deposits.
- Be flexible. You may have your heart set on a certain area, but you may be able to save significant amounts by living further outside the city centre and travelling in.
- Be organised. Keep lists of the properties you are viewing and keep track of phone numbers and contact details. Write down any questions you have about the property so you don’t forget to ask during your viewing.
- If you want to save some money on rent, consider sharing. Renting a room in a house or a flat with other people is likely to be much cheaper than renting an entire place to yourself, and you’ll also be meeting people, which makes this a popular option for students and professionals who are just starting out in London.
- Make sure your deposit will be placed into a suitable tenancy deposit protection scheme and that all rental payments are being recorded. There should also be a detailed inventory of the house or flat, and you should be able to record any problems that existed before you moved in so you won’t be charged for them when you move out.