Permitted Developments Barnet

At Finefair Ltd we excel at helping clients to get the best returns from their property assets. In some cases there may be opportunities to make changes to a building to increase the value. This could include adding an extension, splitting a large property into flats, or creating a HMO. If you are thinking about something like this, you need to look at your rights. We can help, offering an insight into the rules for permitted developments Barnet has.

What are PDRs?

Permitted Developments BarnetWhen you make changes to a property you often require planning permission. However, there are times when you don’t thanks to permitted development rights. The PDRs are direct from the Government and reduce the amount of red tape around certain things. For example, in some locations you can add an extension to a property without needing permission because it does not affect neighbours or the environment.

If you are planning to make changes to a property, you should always start by looking at what PDRs are available. They can save you a lot of time, effort, and money on a project. However, you need to be careful and look at the specific rules for the area. Many local authorities make changes to PDRs or withdraw them entirely using Article 4 Directions.

There may also be cases where it is unclear whether your plan will be a permitted development. If so, it is best to ask the local authority.

Extra protections

Even if you look at the permitted developments Barnet allows and it appears you do have some rights, you may still need planning permission. It may be that your property has a listing. If so there are extra layers of protection to preserve the history, heritage, and character of the building.

You may also have a property in a conservation area. There are actually several of them across Barnet. These areas also have special protections to preserve the character. As a result you will usually need to apply for planning permission to make changes to a property. You cannot proceed with a project without getting approval; it is illegal to do any kind of demolition, alter, or extend a building without it.

There are also PTOs to think about. In some parts of Barnet there are tree preservation orders to protect them. Therefore it is illegal to make any changes to one without getting planning permission.

Business premises

There are also different rules for making changes to business premises. Usually you will need to get planning permission for any change. This includes extensions, changes to a shop front, and a change to the use. Often you need to get approval for things like roller shutters and window grilles too.

Talk to us about permitted developments in Barnet

DevelopmentFinefair Ltd understands that different changes to properties can add a lot of value. This is especially true in London where there is often little free space available. We can help clients who are looking at these kinds of projects, whether it is extensions, change of use, or HMO conversion.

We can support clients as they explore the options for permitted developments Barnet has to offer. There can be some really good opportunities if you look and consider what you can do with properties. Then, if you do proceed, we can help with everything from property management to guaranteed rent.

So, contact us today if you are thinking about what to do with assets. We are always happy to help.