Permitted Developments Barking and Dagenham

At Finefair Ltd we work with plenty of investors who buy properties with plans to change them. It is quite a common strategy to purchase older buildings and then invest in modernising them. They can then find tenants or sell; both can offer healthy returns. However, you need to look at what you can and can’t do to properties. We can help, offering advice about the permitted developments Barking and Dagenham residents can do.

What are PDRs?

Permitted Developments Barking and DagenhamThere are several things you can do to a building without needing planning permission. These are known as permitted development rights. The Government allows PDRs to help remove red tape and allow more projects to move forward.

There are several important things to think about here though. Firstly, the rights can differ depending on the type of property and location. For example, there may be PDRs for common projects for houses but they do not automatically apply to the same work for flats and other types of home.

One of the most vital things to note is that there are designated areas across the UK where there are restrictions on development rights. This includes Conservation Areas, National Parks, World Heritage Sites, and more. Here, the measures to protect the character, history, culture, and beauty of an area overrule the PDRs. Planning permission is therefore necessary.

There are also restrictions to PDRs if the property in question has a listing. Here you may only be able to make a small number of changes to the building. Most often you will require planning permission.

It is also worth noting that local authorities can withdraw permitted development rights. They do this by issuing an Article 4 Directive.

What are the rules in Barking and Dagenham?

Building workThe local authority has some useful information about permitted developments in Barking and Dagenham. The council requires that you contact them if you plan various types of work, including building extensions, loft conversion, reroofing, replacing windows, or even making changes to wiring and plumbing. They can advise you about whether you can proceed with work under PDRs or if you need to get planning permission.

In addition, you must ensure that you get approval as per the building regulations. It is important to follow these rules to the letter; it will ensure you are more likely to get planning permission if you need it.

You will also need permission from the council and must follow building regulations if you are changing the use of a property. For example if you are changing a family home into flats or will use the building for institutional purposes, you need approval.

The council also has a very helpful building control guide for extending your home. While the local authority always advises you to get professional advice, it can be a useful tool.

Permitted developments in Barking and Dagenham

Finefair Ltd is a team that can help clients who are looking at making alterations to a property. We have a lot of experience here, whether it is a project like modernising a home or something more complex like turning a property into a HMO. Our team can offer support and then manage assets for you.

So, if you have an idea in mind and want help, speak to us. When it comes to permitted developments, Barking and Dagenham has few property experts like us that can offer such broad services. Plus, we do all we can to ensure you get the most for your money.