Landlord given suspended sentence over carbon monoxide death

Dr Victoria Martindale, a Derbyshire landlord, has been spared jail after a tenant was killed by carbon monoxide from a malfunctioning boiler at a property in Stanley Common, close to Ilkeston.

Stephen Newton, 51, was found dead as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning on the 29th of December, 2009. His partner Susan Davies and a neighbour also experienced poisoning from the gas, but recovered.

Dr Martindale had found the tenants through a letting agency. The agency arranged a gas safety check to be performed in 2005 before Mr Newton and Ms Davies moved in, but after this the boiler was not checked or serviced at all for the four years leading up to Mr Newton’s death.

Dr Martindale was prosecuted after the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) investigated the death and found that she had breached safety laws by failing to arrange the necessary safety checks on the gas boiler. She was given a 16-month suspended prison sentence at Derby Crown Court. She was also fined £4,000 plus costs of £17,500, and must complete 200 hours of community service.

When leasing your property through Finefair, we will carry out a free and no obligation viewing on your property. If you do not have access to contractors who can complete any minor works, we will carry out the works on your behalf using our fully qualified internal maintenance contractors. Call Finefair Ltd on 0208 554 0500 to secure your rental income or alternatively email our team on info@finefair.com. 

Don’t forget we are NICEIC and GasSafe registered. Our engineers are the core of our business allowing us to offer extensive property management in London.